It’s no secret that 2020 has been a year of craziness to the max and I am sure we are all looking forward to seeing the back of it as we whizz through the last few months of this year. In saying that, you may be looking at ways to bring your business to the next level in 2021 (or maybe you are still ready to go ahead with your goals and see them through to the end of this year). Whatever you are deciding, are you ready to think out of the box?
I am referring to Vision Boards.
Have you heard of them? Do you have one? Have you ever used one or at least entertained the thought of using one? You may be wondering, “How can a vision board help me grow my business?” – keep on reading and I will tell you.
What are vision boards?
As always I would like to break down what a vision board actually is before we look at why you should have one and how it will assist you in your business.
Vision boards have come a far way. They were used in ancient times to almost “predict” the future of young royals and to create a pathway to greatness. Now you may not a royal destined for the throne, but you are a person destined for greatness. You are a person destined to have success in life, especially if you own a business.
Vision boards are there to make your goal more visible. To give yourself more clarity on what it is you wish to achieve. Your goal and your vision may change as your circumstances change, and that is fine, you can change your vision board as you see fit.
So in short, a vision board is a collection of images and phrases which are relevant to your business or personal goals. It helps you to stay accountable and to stay on track in order to bring your vision to life.
Factors to creating a great vision board
When you start creating a vision board there are a few things you should take into consideration so that you make sure you have a board that truly reflects you and your business goals. Here are some of them below:
- Clarity – You need a clear vision of what you want to achieve.
- Get out of your comfort zone – Do not give yourself goals you know are easily attainable. You need to reach higher, go further and challenge yourself in order to be successful – so make goals that will require a little more effort to achieve.
- Be committed – Make sure that you are ready to put in the work to reach your goals and to make your vision come to life.
- Be reasonable – Yes, you need to challenge yourself and your goals should not be easy-peasy to reach, but you also need to make sure you give yourself enough time and have the resources at hand to reach these challenging goals.
Once you have all of these things in place you can get started with actually creating your board.
Creating your vision board
If you are not too sure where to start, Pinterest has millions of ideas and you will be spoilt for choice. Here are some of the things you may want to have at hand before you start your vision board project:
- Card paper, pin board, white board
- A collection of magazines (make sure they are ones which are likely to have images that are relevant to your goals)
- Embellishments if you are the creative or blingy type
- You can also have personal photos if they are relevant to your end goal
You will want to clear your head, be in a quiet space and be intentional when choosing the items which will go onto your vision board. DO NOT just go with the images that are pretty or look nice.
Stick them on your board with intention, even use affirmations or mantras while adding them to your board. Make it more real for yourself. Feel like you are achieving the goals one by one as you stick each image or phrase on your board.
The last step – place your vision board in a place where you will see it often through the day. The best would be to see it first thing in the morning and last thing at night – maybe make two, keep one in the office and one at home.
The more you see it the more accountable you will be to MAKE IT HAPPEN. Visual goal setting is highly effective. We are visual beings after all.
Something that is also important to know is that when you create a vision board, do not create a glorified check-list, rather use the time to become aware of where you are now, where you want to go and what you will need to get yourself there. From there you will be able to create a visual masterpiece to keep your mind in the right place and your energy flowing on the right vibration.
To summarize – vision boards are not a new age trend. In fact, many people are adopting the practice of creating a visual goal set if you will. And it is not only for personal use, you can use it to create your business success. Points to remember:
- Stay focused when creating, have relevant goals but also make them challenging. Make yourself step out of your comfort zone – that is when you will truly feel a sense of achievement.
- Choose images that are projections of where you see your business in the future as well as what will help get you there.
- Lastly, make sure you see it every day, even a few times a day, look at it, feel it, believe it. Make it yours!
Are you ready to leave this year behind you and look toward the future with your vision board?
Excellent! See you on the other side.